Our volunteer needs have shifted as we have developed our response to COVID-19.
Please read below before submitting an application and someone will contact you about volunteer opportunities.
An excellent volunteer candidate is:
1. Taking COVID-19 precautions seriously in their work and personal life by wearing masks, limiting their exposure to other people, and keeping at least 6 feet of distance from others when in contact with people not in their household.
2. Happy to participate in standard COVID-19 safety measures while volunteering by wearing a properly fitting mask, keeping at least 6 feet of distance from others at all times, and washing hands regularly.
3. Enthusiastic about engaging in a physically demanding volunteer job, and able to stand for up to 6 hours at a time while twisting, bending, and lifting 20-30 pounds at a time.
4. Able to move efficiently and deliberately and keep up with a fast-paced, team-based work environment.
5. Able to commit to a once a week shift for at least two months. (If you cannot do this, there are other opportunities—please submit an application!)
BFB is taking many precautions to ensure the safety of our volunteers, but If you or someone that you have close contact with is in a high-risk category, please consider staying home and staying safe, rather than increasing your exposure by volunteering at BFB.
BOX PACKING: Monday-Friday at Bellingham Food Bank
· Daily shifts begin at 9:00 AM. End times vary between 11:30 AM and 2:30 PM. Volunteers must be able to stay for the whole shift.
· Take part in socially distanced assembly line, helping to fill either dry/non-perishable boxes or cold/perishable boxes.
· Assist with other tasks which support box packing.
· Work in teams of 10 volunteers and several staff people.
· Commitment is a once a week shift for at least two months. If you cannot do this, there is potential to be on the sub list.
DRIVE UP, CONTACT FREE DISTRIBUTION: Tuesday-Thursday at Various Locations in Bellingham
· Shifts are:
Tuesday, 12:30 PM – 4:15 PM
Wednesday, 2:30 PM – 6:15 PM
Thursday, 12:30 PM – 4:15 PM
Volunteers must be able to stay for the whole shift.
· Distribution takes place outdoors in parking lots in all weather.
· Volunteers help to set up pop-up canopies and tables, distribute food boxes, and clean up. The work is customer service oriented and contact free. *Volunteers are not responsible for loading food boxes into visitor’s vehicles.
· Work in teams of 5-8 volunteers and staff people.
· Commitment is once a week shift for at least two months. If you cannot do this, there is potential to be on the sub list.
Nonperishable Group Inquiry Form
*Currently not scheduling group volunteering.*Read More »
Advocacy Team Sign UpRead More »
Bellingham Food Bank believes Black Lives Matter. We recognize that structural racism benefits the dominant white culture and disadvantages people of color. We believe that hunger is unacceptable and that racism is interwoven in our food system and is a root cause of hunger. We must work for racial justice and equity. Bellingham Food Bank…Read More »
Feeding Hungry FamiliesRead More »
Getting Great FoodRead More »
Volunteers are here when the doors open in the morning and when they are closed at the end of the day. We need volunteers at our downtown site and in our agricultural programs. Interested? Give us a call and learn more about volunteer opportunities. You will make friends while making a difference.Read More »
Getting You InvolvedRead More »
Show Up! Speak Up!
Join us! Monday, April 13 3:30-5:00 PM @ Bellingham Food Bank Speak Up about: TBD No RSVP required. Children welcome.Read More »